SWEET is a good word to describe these.
Especially when that word is made out of powdered sugar. 🙂
These chewie bars are a family tradition. Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without them! Last Christmas my Grandma and I were making these and she told me how this recipe had changed over the years. She said that when she made them with her grandma as a young girl, the recipe had chopped dates, white chocolate, mashed banana, and a ton of other stuff. When it was baked though, they tasted pretty bad. So, they came up with this recipe. And this one tastes pretty darn good.
Based on this picture, I think you’ll like them.
Oh, and this one, too.
Makes about 8-16 bars, depending on how you cut them
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
6-8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
2-3 tbsp of flour
2 tsp vegetable shortening
1 cup of powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a 7×10 baking dish with the shortening and coat the bottom and sides with the flour and set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, add the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and graham cracker crumbs. Stir until well combined.
4. Distribute the batter in an even layer in the baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes and cool completely.
5. Once cooled, cut into the desired number of bars. Then, coat the bars in the powdered sugar. Serve and enjoy!